ISU's Involvement in the CASTL Campus Program
Supports for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Supports for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at Illinois State University include:
- The recent institutionalization of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching (CAT) on campus.
- Assorted activities and events sponsored by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching (CAT) which are increasingly
participated in by faculty (e.g., workshops; institutes, such as one for faculty new to campus; symposia;
brownbag sessions; mini-grant opportunities; campus newsletter and other publications, such as the “Insider’s
Guide”; resource room; mentoring program; and so on).
- CAT Teaching Scholars Group
- CAT Teaching-Learning Communities
- Teaching awards and recognitions at department, college, and university levels, for both faculty and graduate
- Instructional Technology Services as an entity on campus is helpful.
- ISUTEACH listserv which facilitates thought-provoking dialogue among subscribers.
- College and university research offices that consult and advise faculty related to scholarship of teaching
- Local corporate recognition and support (e.g., State Farm Insurance).
- Faculty who are noting their professional organizations are increasingly looking upon the scholarship of
teaching with greater favor.
- Faculty, particularly those who have not received formal academic training in education/curriculum/instruction,
are increasingly looking for ways to make their teaching better.
- Milner Library staff, services, and resources
- University Assessment Office staff and services